April 30, 2008

The Jobsite


I know most people kinda know what I do (electronics stuff) but not many people get to see the inside of the operation. Avery knows that I fix machines at the place where they make boxes. I work for Malnove Inc. as the senior electronics tech in the Maintenance Dept and I have been here since I left the Navy almost 8 years ago. I work with all aspects of the electrical, electronic and computer systems of the machines in our 250,00 square foot plant. As the senior tech, I am responsible for keeping everything running around the clock; which means I get phone calls on nights and weekends. I do a lot of troubleshooting, repairs, programming and R & D. I work with everything from the incoming 3 phase high voltage to the PLC's (industrial computers) to motors, drive systems, barcode scanners, various high tech sensors and so on. Here's a shot of my office...


And here is a shot of my world (a typical electric cabinet)...

Most of our machinery is made either in Germany, Switzerland or in the US. What our plant does is make folding cartons, or cardboard boxes. We make Little Debbie boxes, light bulb boxes, various snack/cracker/donut/cake boxes, Kleenex & Splenda boxes and the list goes on. The operation starts with a giant roll of paper, or board, and it is cut into sheets...


Printed on high speed German printing presses...


Cut and creased into boxes by Swiss die-cutters...


Folded, glued, cellophane windows installed and packed on a folders/gluer like this one...


And last everything is shipped to our customers. One new piece of equipment that we have that I have spent tons of time with in the past year is the robot. Of our 4 plants in the US, we are the only one with a robot and it has been my personal project since I got back from school in Montreal...