August 17, 2008

Riding in Charlotte

Before I left for Charlotte, I had checked this site out to find the best places to ride in the area. After riding on the not-so-great roads near the hotel on my road bike the first day there, I headed 5 miles down the road to Anne Springs Close Greenway to hit some trails after class on the 2nd day. It had been raining all day so I knew it would be muddy, like red clay muddy. It took me a long time to find the place and even when I found it, it took me a while to find the trail. Once I found the trail, however, it was on! The trails were a little muddy in places but had good climbs, downhills, technical sections, rock gardens, suspended bridges, and tunnels. I had a map and lost my bearings a few times but I will probably go back and hit this trail again. I ended my ride when I started to run out of sun. Oh, since I had an easy ride planned, I took the camera...


On Thursday, the weather was awesome (and not as hot as FL!) and I was eager to get out of class and head to the US National Whitewater Center. I had read all about the trails so I knew this place was going to rock! When I got there, the place was packed! Not necessarily with mtber's, but with rafters, rock climbers, people walking dogs and people there for the bands, festivities, beer & food. This place was awesome, had a killer atmosphere and the trails were incredible! Since I had a serious ride, I didn't take the camera into the trails. These trails had it all, especially climbing. I rode and rode and eventually had to stop when it got dark. I can't wait to get back to this place and ride again. I would like to plan a trip so Char can ride this place too, especially before Tahoe. I will no doubt hit this place again in a few weeks when I head back to Charlotte.



Here's a summary of my ride at USNWC...

No comments: