September 10, 2008

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy

The Mayo Clinic confirmed the diagnosis today. For those who do not know, this heart diseae causes the heart walls to be abnormally thick. It is also the disease that causes sudden death, especially in young athletes. I knew going in today that there was a chance that my doctor would tell me this, but I was totally optimistic that he would say everything is fine. The thought has been in my mind for quite some time now that I was on borrowed time in regards to the strides I was making in cycling. Today my doctor agreed that I've been lucky.

So what does this mean? No more training, racing, running, lifting, playing ball...basically everything athletic that I have done since I was old enough to throw a ball. From here I have a whole new series of tests to have done to decide on my direction. The end result could be an implanted defibrillator. I am confident that the doctors at Mayo and the experts at the Mayo in Rochester will get this all managed. Either way, considering that there is no cure for this disease, I have plenty of time to figure out what to do with myself. More important, I need to get my princess checked right away because this disease is hereditary. My hopes above and beyond everything is that she didn't get this nonsense.

I think its going to take a few days for this to set in and for me to accept my fate. I have no choice but to slow down quite a bit and enjoy life. There are tons of things that I now have time to do and learn. I also don't have a reason to be so selfish with my time anymore...

7 comments:

RickySilk said...

I can imagine how tough that news is. You could take up a skill/technique sport that doesn't work the heart so much. I know it sounds cheesy, but bowling leagues are actually pretty fun and manage to scratch the competitive itch.

Sean Crichton said...

We don't always understand or want to accept God's plan, but just realize that things happen for a reason - definitely gonna be a challenge for you, but somehow I think you will figure out a way to persevere, just like you always have. Keep the faith, bro - besides, at least you don't have to quit drinking beer.

Todd Hatfield said...

RS- dude, I actually love bowling and have my own ball, shoes, etc! I have already talked about getting back out and bustin up some pins! There's tons of things I plan to do, like drinking beer with Sean!

Harvey said...

It sounds like you're already looking at the positives. Sometimes I think that not being obsessed with riding would be a good thing.

There's lots of paths to travel on the journey through life.

Todd Hatfield said...

It was weird but I felt a sense of relief not only with the fact that I now know what is wrong but also that I wouldn't have the pressure of constantly having to ride.

Luis G. said...

Hey man, even though we've never actually met I've always enjoyed our little exchanges on the forum. I wish you the best and I'm sure you'll find something else to keep you occupied and sane, if not yourself maybe through your up and coming athlete daughter.

Karlos said...

One door closes and another opens, I wish you the best and good luck. Things always happen for a reason and you got to trust in the creator and his plans.