June 24, 2012

Week Recap

So this week came to an end with a good amount of miles on the road bike, 190 to be exact. My goal was 200+ but today's double flat cut my last ride of the week in half. Anyhow, I hit 3 hard group rides this week (Open Road, County Line, Lodge Ride) and put in some solid work and finished very strong in the final sprints. I've also been on a bit of a weight loss kick these past few months and managed to drop 10 pounds, getting close to my weight when I graduated bootcamp 18 years ago. I'd like to get closer to my CAT1 mtn bike racing weight from 4 years ago, so tack on another 8 pounds to lose. My reward for the miles this week? A beer! I somewhat cut beer off the menu in these last few months of training to help get my weight where it needs to be. But for now, I use them as rewards!


Today I went down to Gainesville to pick up Avery after her week long trip to Puerto Rico with the Fosmoe's. The Puerto Rico trip was part of her birthday present and an excellent opportunity to spend some quality time with her aunt & uncle & cousins. It was also her first trip out of the country so she was pumped. She had an absolute blast but I was excited to pick her up. Here's a shot of her while we stopped for drinks before the drive home:


Today- on the bike? Yes!


And Riley? Smiling as usual!


Today Tropical Storm Debby rolled in so who knows how riding will unfold this week. My plan is to duplicate this week's effort but I may end up on the trainer a time or 2. Monday is an off day after 6 straight days on the bike so it can rain all it wants tomorrow. I just hope its clear Tuesday for the group ride.

And last- quick shout to my awesome wife. She's been so incredible as a new mom. She has a lot on her plate with work, school, trying to get some training accomplished- all while doing the bulk of the work with Riley. She's been great to me while I tackle my bike racer comeback. Her and I have grand plans to race the 8 Hours of Labor (8 hour mtn bike race) in August together in the coed category. This was the last time I raced 4 years ago before the Mayo Clinic found my heart condition. At any rate, we aim to kick ass! And to show her awesomeness, the pic below is from her sprint triathlon that she did 4-1/2 months after Riley was born- and rocked a 3rd place in her AG! My wife is the best!


No comments: