August 22, 2009

the last weekened....

...before school starts both Avery and myself. It looks like my fun-n-gun training schedule will drastically slow down next week. Not that I was training for anything, but my internal desire to be uber-fit had taken over the last few months. Also, I had done a little internet research and soul searching and came to the conclusion that I would be ok to pick things up a notch. I haven't come anywhere close to the training and racing efforts that I was doing up to last year, but I have been pushing my HCM heart a bit. At this point, I know how important hydration is and I know when to back off when things in my chest don't feel right. But I have actually felt great the last month or so- running, lifting and RIDING!

This week has been pretty mellow in the Big Blue world. Avery is away in Minnesota with her mom visiting family. Char has been knee deep in half-Ironman training. I had a nagging project at work that I completed Friday. I engineered a minor project and saved the company over $8000 by not using the OEM. Not that I hadn't done things like this many times in the past, but this time I just felt a larger sense of satisfaction when it was done. Maybe it was because I had tapped a few more resources, included many more team members than normal and maybe because the equipment and technology was some of the newest and advanced that we own. Either way- it was a relief and it was cool!

So back to school- I decided to go full time until I finish. Not only do I need to get school finished, but I need to use the rest of my GI Bill before it expires. I am a little behind for 2 reasons- 1. is because I took 2 years off in the middle to concetrate on training and racing. 2. I changed majors last year from electrical engineering t0 management. The pre-req's for EE and management are quite a bit defferent so I am playing a little catch up. I picked up all of my books this week and I am ready to get started. It will be a tough balance but I am ready to tackle another one of life's little challenges...

Ok, I need to talk sports! That's one thing that I missed during my blog vacation. Man, it's football season! The preseason is in full swing and college football is just a few weeks away! But before I get into football, there were a few big stories this summer- I'll touch on a few. Vick returns to the NFL- everybody needs to leave this dude alone and let him play football. Het got caught, came clean, did his time and now he is going back to work. Enough! Pitino soiled his image- what were you thinking Rick? He should bounce back ok- I mean he is Rick Pitino and he is in Kentucky, but I think The Pitino Brand took a little hit. Brett Fav... ah, I don't even want to say the name! Make up your friggin mind! I can say that I really care what he does but I am sick of hearing about him. Retire. Not retire. Return. Not return. Hold teams, owners and players hostage. Repeat. Decide to return after camp and 2-a-days? Not cool. Part of me wants him to do well this year, part of me wants him to fall flat on his face and part of me wants him to just go away. But I must say that it must be nice to have some real football excitement in your NFL town...

Last sports topics and then I'm out- the Jags and UK football. Wait, one quickie- Florida is going to be scary good this year. Saint Tebow and the #1 Defense. Damn. Just don't overlook Big Blue when you guys roll into Lexington this year, ha! Anyhow, the Jaguars may be in trouble. Ticket sales suck. Their off season moves sucked. They needed help on offense and some on defense and they tried to fix it through the draft and restructuring the coaching staff (again) and the front office. Our receivers have been horrible for years and they let their top 3 receivers from last year go (not that they were very good) and bring only brought in old man Torry Holt. Personally, I think the receivers have never developed around here because the quarterbacks have not been very good. And I really don't think Garrard is the answer. The Jags still looked boring in their first preseason game against Miami. Tonight they need to have a good showing at home against the Bucs and former Jag QB Byron Leftwich. A good performance by the team may earn them a few more ticket sales- and a little hope of a winning season. A bad game will leave them right where they are- mediocre and ripe for more move talk...

UK should be about the same as they have been the last few years- consistent and consistently getting closer to the big boys. Their SEC schedule is brutal, but they should easily win their 4 non-SEC games, including Louisville. If they could only win one of their home games against either Florida, Alabama or Tennesse- it would be huge! They almost knocked off Bama last year in Tuscaloosa so it could be possible. I look for them to possibly surprise Florida this year after UF embarrassed them last year in the Swamp, a game I unfortunately witnessed in person. Florida will be thinking National Title and looking ahead...kind of like at Ole Miss last year... I'd love to see them crush the Vols and their annoying coach, Lame Kiffin. UK's defense has gotten better each year- a trend I anticipate it again this year with some solid returners. The offense will also be better but how good depends on how much QB Hartline and the young receivers have developed. It will be a fun season, no doubt- and I see them bowl eligible once again.

Go Big Blue!

No comments: