October 3, 2011

Rewind 3 years

I was training and racing my butt off back in 2008 until I was officially diagnosed with HCM. Rewind back to September 2008 and you can see what I was up to and how I reacted to the news. Then came October 2008 when I was advised to get an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD). Now fast forward to last Friday when I finally had the procedure done at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville. There was much thought, testing, counseling, and confusion over those 3 years to get me to this day. Now that the device is in, I am relieved, I am protected, and now I can move on with life with virtually no limitations. With my paternal bond growing deeper and stronger with Avery and with Char and I expecting a baby girl in January- the decision had to be made. I now have the ultimate life insurance policy- if anything were to ever go wrong, I am protected. With that being said, I have some pretty kick ass hardware bolted in my chest. The Boston Scientific Teligen is one slick device and I am glad to have it on our team. I now consider myself BIONIC.

Here's a shot of the hardware...


And here I am 2 days post-surgery...


Hopefully this week when I follow up at the pace clinic at Mayo I can snag a chest x-ray. That would be a cool picture to post. In the meantime, I am taking a week off of work to recover and waste time by doing things like tinkering with my blog.

No comments: