July 7, 2008

Go shorty, its your birthday!

Happy birthday to my nephew Lukas, who turned 1 today! Tear up some cake, little man!

Fireworks at the beach...


Char and I had a pretty good time for the 4th. After spending some time at the pool, we rolled down to Jax Beach to watch the fireworks. Afterwards, we jumped back on the beach cruisers for more drinks, appetizers and laughs at Sean & Steph's pad. I tried not to drink too much or stay out too late because I had a long ride on the 5th. Well, we stayed out a little late and I ended up getting started on my long road ride about 4 hours later than planned. Not that this is a bad thing, but at 11:30 in the afternoon, it was already awful damn hot!

Leaving for my journey...


After staying up late consuming oat sodas, eating bad all day Friday and it being hot as hell out, I think I bonked about 3 minutes after this picture was taken. Considering it takes me forever to warm up, I kept thinking I would come around once I got going. I felt like crap at 1 hour, then at 2 hours, then at 3 hours but I kept pedalling. I was going through 2 bottles every hour and a half and I had a hard time eating anything. I was riding rather slow in order to keep my heart rate in check considering this was an endurance ride. I kept thinking that I would come around considering that last Saturday's 4 hour and 10 minute ride felt absolutley great! But no, I felt like dog-poo from start to finish. I averaged 1 mile an hour slower than last Saturday's long ride. I ended with 84 solo miles in 4 hours and 40 minutes, while burning over 3900 calories. The average temperature during my little spin was 96 degrees and almost all of it was in the direct sunlight- really no tree coverage and NO clouds. Beautiful beach weather... Anyhow, from here I spent the rest of the day parked in the living room watching the Olympic Trials and the Tour de France with Char, who was also spent from a tough afternoon brick workout.

Sunday we got up and headed to Panera for breakfast with Mayfield. From there we took her to Dogwood Park to let her run loose with all of the other dogs. This park is HUGE and is totally sweet for dogs! She had such a blast and we had just as much fun watching her run around with all of the dogs as she tried to figure out who to play with next. She ran her little heart out...


Made some new friends...


...and was ready to bounce as soon as we said, "Let's go!" When we got back home we eazed back into "chill mode" and turned the Olympic Trials back on, which we had recorded. By the way, did anybody watch this? Man, watching the track events and then the pool events in HD with all of the crazy cameras and angles is downright amazing! We couldn't turn it off! We also took a little time to catch up on the Tour, which I also have recording on the DVR. Its nice to be able to watch these things, whenever, so much faster when they are recorded. Anyhow, bad weather rolled in and even though I tried to wait it out, the rain never let up so I missed a ride that I was anxious to do. I really wanted to ride, but I had no desire to hop on the trainer in place of the real thing. I try to limit my trainer time in order to avoid burn out...

No comments: