July 19, 2008

Burnin rubber...

I just got done with my ride today and as I was taking my helmet and whatnot off in the garage I smelled burning rubber. It took me a second to realize what it was- it was my road bike tires. Not that I was going fast or anything but I decided to turn my 4-1/2 hour ride today into a century. Once again it was very hot out and there was no cloud cover. It took me 5 hours and 22 minutes to cover 100 miles, while the average temperature from 9:00 am until 2:30 pm was 92 degrees and I burned over 4500 calories. I felt good because I was well rested, hydrated and I took in a good amount of fluids and food. I lost 5 pounds on that ride but trust me- I will find all of it later tonight...

Ok, so back to that sprint triathlon... Last weekend was the last sprint triathlon of the BFAST series in PV. Char did the whole series while I was a spectator but this last one I did the team relay with her brother Damien. Dmy's family stayed the weekend with us as did Char's older brother Al and his family. Packed house, good time... Anyhow, I was hoping to have a smoking fast time on the bike even though I have not done any high intensity training in quite some time; I've only been doing low intensity high volume. Once the race started, I had to hang out in the transition area for around 40 minutes while the swim portion got underway. This killed my warmup. As soon as Damien got back from the swim I ran out and hopped on the bike and started to hammer. I already knew that I would start out in a slight headwind so I figured I'd go about as hard as I could the first half and when I turned around to head back with the tailwind, I'd pick it up. Negative. I went a little over 24 mph up and a little over 24 mph back. Bummer. I was disappointed in my time until I saw that my time was on par with the rest of the top triathletes/cyclists at the race. Another thing that sucked was that when I finished the bike, I had to jump off of it with my heart rate at about 180 and I was not able to do a cool down spin. The bikes cannot be moved from the transition area until the race is over. Oh well. From there Damien had a very good run and we finished the race in 2nd place. Damn, that was exciting! It was a cool event because we had so many friends and family at the race- all a racin' & a cheerin'! Big props to Char for her 2nd place finish in AG and to my man SBC for nailing his first sprint win in AG!

No comments: