October 2, 2008

Jock Junior


So when Miss Avery isn't running or riding her bike, she's at tennis lessons. She spent time in karate and also played t-ball, and even though she did exceptionally well in both, tennis just seems to be a good fit. It can be difficult to find which activities kids will like, but I think if you expose them to a variety of things they will stick with the ones they enjoy. So far she loves the bike and mtn bike racing and in a year or so I will introduce her to a road bike, which I think she will like even more than the knobbies. I'm not sure how much she really likes running but she never shies away from it. It probably also helps that Char runs a lot for triathlon training and that her mom has been a Girls on the Run coach the last 3 years. I have taken a temporary timeout from running with her until I find out how much activity is safe for my ticker. I was thinking I could ride my beach cruiser with her while she runs but I don't think that looks right. She has expressed interest in basketball, which is awesome because not only do I love basketball, but I started playing when I was about her age and I played all the way into high school and a LOT in the Navy. I'm not sure if she'll get into soccer- she hasn't said much about it and I never played it but I'm sure she'll at least try it at some point. Either way, its been fulfilling for me to do more with her in just the short amount of time that I have been sidelined from my "normal" training life. Its amazing how much you can miss when you get so focuses on one thing...




Last night the girls had the girls begging for some grub...



I know most people think baseball is boring, but when the playoffs start- it gets exciting! Kinda like the NBA... Anyhow, it sucks that the Cubs dropped the first game to the Dodgers last night and lost home field. Zambrano needs to pitch a stellar game Thursday and their sluggers need to do some work. From there they need to at least win one in LA to have a chance to move on. Man, I've gotta see the Cubs win the Series in my lifetime and this year has looked like it would be their best chance in...forever!

No comments: