November 7, 2008

the blue weekend

Working out feels so good. I decided to get off my hump this week and start going to the YMCA for some lifting and jogging. I hit the Y 2 days up here in Charlotte after I went Monday in J-Ville. I plan to make this my routine when I get back- 3 days a week in the gym. The other days I will fill with riding- either on the trails, on the road or on the trainer. I won't be pushing it much- just spinning, burning calories and trying to keep some form so that I never totally lose it in case I can ever really get back. I'll also do a little running with Avery, as well as some tennis and mtn biking with her. This weekend I am going to Hanna Park to ride the trails on Saturday and Sunday I plan to get in a little road spin. Sitting around and feeling sorry for myself for 2 months was long enough- I'm ready to do what I do. Oh, we are planning to get a ping-pong table and dart board for the garage so we will have some indoor activities (drinking games!) for the winter. I'm also on the lookout for some golf clubs so I can start a new hobby. This whole heart deal has forced me to add some variety rather than riding every day, which seems to be a good thing...

There are some solid football games on Saturday, like #2 Alabama at #16 LSU, #9 Oklahoma St at #2 Texas Tech, #3 Penn St/Iowa, #21 Cal/#7 USC, #13 Georgia/Kentucky, #5 Florida/Vanderbilt and Louisville/Pittsburgh. I'm hoping that UK will be healthy enough to surprise Georgia. Hey, it could happen. I'd like to see Bama go into LSU and get the win so that the SEC remains strong and has a shot at putting a team in the title game, even though Saban gets on my nerves. I really don't care who wins the OK St/TT game but I do know it will be a good one. Hell, it would be cool to see TT run the table. I'd also like to see Penn St lose at Iowa to spare us all another Big 10 team getting thumped in the National Championship.


My man Roy Jones Jr is fighting Joe Calzaghe Saturday night. RJJ has always been one of my favorite fighters and I became a Calzaghe fan after he beat big mouth Bernard Hopkins. Both dudes are similar in a lot of ways: JC is 36, RJJ is 39, both are badasses and both have been criticized for picking & choosing their fights and terms over the years. The Welshman is 45-0, which is pretty amazing while Jone Jr is 52-4 after getting on track after 3 losses in a row a few years ago. Its hard to say who will win this fight or who I will be pulling for, but my gut is to go with Roy Jones since I've liked him since he was ripped off in the '88 Olympics. Should be an awesome fight either way...


Ok, Sunday the Jags travel to Detroit to take on the 0-8 Lions. We plan to go watch this one at Brett & Raina's and may possibly stick around for the Colts-Steelers game afterwards. Anyhow, if the Jags lose Sunday I'm going to have to throw in the towel this season. There's no way I can stomach losing back-to-back to 0-8 teams, especially by a team that came into the season talking Super Bowl. But hell, its just the half way point of the season and there's still a good chance for them to turn the season around and make the playoffs. And its not like they haven't been in every game- they've lost their 5 games by a combined 24 points. But still, they should have soundly beaten most of those teams. Either way, I would love to see them firing on all cylinders this weekend. GO JAGS!

1 comment:

Sean Crichton said...

I'm ready for some "Brews at Blue's" pingpong sessions........