May 2, 2008

KY Derby 134


Damn, the 1st Saturday in May is already tomorrow. I really need to get back home and go to the Derby- I have not been since high school. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to kick it with the locals in the infield or try to actually get some seats. I may need to research that. Anyhow, I need to make a prediction. I usually keep up with the horses going into the Derby but I have slipped over the past few years. Looking at the entrees and post positions, I was going to pull for Pyro because his odds aren't bad at 6-1 and his name is cool. Then I thought about Colonel John at 4-1 and his choice lane position in the middle next to Pyro. But I think I'm going with Big Brown at 3-1 way out on the outside in lane 20. Big Brown won the Florida Derby from the outside post a few weeks ago and has crushed the competition in his 3 total starts. Its not too often an undefeated favorite wins the Derby. And even though a filly has won the Derby only 3 times, look for Eight Belles at 20-1 as a sleeper. The last filly to win the Derby was Winning Colors in 1988 but not many fillies enter the Derby. Sometimes the boys let the gals go... This year the field is maxed out at 20 horses and the purse is a little over $2 million. The race is on tomorrow night at 6:00. You gotta love "the most exciting 2 minutes in sports!"

No comments: