July 10, 2012

Week of the 4th

I went into last week with back to back 200 mile/6 day training weeks and some sore legs. Like a genius, I have been increasing volume and not reducing intensity. Not sure where this is getting me, but I didn't have good legs on the group rides Tuesday and Thursday. I didn't spend as much time at the front and petered out in the sprints at the very end (but I still managed top 5 finishes.) Instead of my normal recovery spins between the hard rides, I took the days completely off looking for additional rest. I only logged 130 miles and 3 rides for the week. What I did enjoy about this was my early morning ride while we were in Gainesville on Saturday. I went on a mellow 40 mile spin out in the country through the little towns of Archer and Newberry. It was therapy on wheels. It was also hot as hell. Anyhow, I can't remember the last time on the bike that I saw more horses and cows than cars.

Saturday morning spin around Gainesville
Ok, so we had a few days off last week for the 4th. We planned to get stuff done around the house and ended up getting things done- just not many things on the list. Oh well, such is life. Anyhow, we did do some serious clothes shopping for Avery. Her summer wardrobe is now complete...

The girls shopping
My shopping partner
Since Riley goes to bed so early, we didn't do anything for the 4th. We actually had some plans, but they fell through. And I think it stormed. But this didn't stop Riley from dressing for the occasion:

Happy 4th!
Hanging out on the 4th.

I managed to hit Total Wine and grabbed a few good brews for my time off. I didn't drink nearly as many of them as I would have liked, but they were good nonetheless. While I was at TW I noticed that there is a lot of good stuff up there right now. I need to grab a few more new brews to sample this summer.

4th of July Selection

Oh, so Friday night we rolled down to Gainesville to hang out with Char's brothers. There aren't too many times that we get to kick it with both Al and Damien, so it was nice for us to get to spend the weekend with them. We didn't do anything too crazy, just went out on the boat, swam in the pool and ate a LOT of good food!

Damien, Char, Riley & Al
Avery tubing on Lake Sante Fe
And last, I said goodbye to Avery as she stayed behind for a week of University of Florida soccer camp.

Me and my sidekick


No comments: